Posts

Painting the 30MM Customize Scene Base (Landscape Ver.)

Image
Like I mentioned in the previous post, I experimented with different bases for the SD Neo Zeong . Figma stands couldn't handle the weight. The Action Base 1 was just too tall. The Action Base 2 was actually pretty good though a bit unstable due to the SD Neo Zeong's weight. But then I saw the 30-Minute Missions Customize Scene Base Landscape Version and thought that it would be a great way to emphasize or exaggerate the Neo Zeong's size. The base comes in three parallelogram-shaped plates that can be rearranged to suit your display. Each plate has a removable piece that covers the attachment point for a support arm. Unfortunately, the arm that comes with this package is just too thin for the Neo Zeong. As you can see in the picture above, the Action Base 2 arm crudely fits but also covers up a lot of nice details. But this was a problem to for later. And I couldn't stand to just let the base be gray when the packaging showed how good it could look when painted. It took

SD Neo Zeong - Building and Painting

Image
Today's build log is about the Yolly SD Neo Zeong, which is pretty much a straight-up recast of the Bandai original. I'd rather not get into the ethics of knock-offs, but I just wanted a cheap kit that I could practice on without caring too much about mistakes. Straight off the bat, let me say that if you want a representation of the Neo Zeong, please buy the original because Yolly's mold is pretty bad, especially the SD Sinanju packed in with the kit. But if your intention is to use just the Neo Zeong parts to make some kind of custom armor for another SD or Nendoroid or the like, this kit will be a cheap way to do so. SD EX-Standard in the Neo Zeong Kit Quality The quality on this kit was just not there. Huge mold lines, poor fit, rough surfaces, shallow details, weird scratches, and loose joints. Stay away from this unless you can overlook all these problems or if you're willing to fix them. I wanted a practice kit, and that's exactly what I got and more. Major

Modified and Painted HGUC (#40) MS-06 Zaku II

Image
Here's the promised photoshoot for my HGUC Zaku II. To be honest, I was quite disappointed by the articulation and proportions of this kit when I had first snapped it together years ago. But now that it's detailed up like this, I'm appreciating it a lot more. Improving the derpy-looking monoeye helped the look quite a bit. I'm hoping to do a similar mod to my Origin Zaku II and HGUC Gouf. I'd have done a few more action poses, but I was afraid of scratching the paint. Same reason the leg rockets got left off, even though I fixed them up too.

Modifying and Painting the HGUC (#40) MS-06 Zaku II

Image
I bought this kit on sale a few years ago for just $9 with the intention of using it as cheap practice. I had built it and sanded and welded the seams (not very well), but I couldn't find the right green colors in spray cans, so this project got shelved (literally) for some time. Now that I had a respectable painting setup and some new tools, I thought that this kit might finally serve as a warmup before tackling more recent and expensive kits. My plan was to improve the monoeye and maybe add some more surface detail. So after disassembling the parts, I started with modifying the head. I couldn't stand how ugly the monoeye was, so I thought to try to make it look more like the MG 2.0 or RG. I found a curved piece of clear plastic that I measured and cut to fit in front of the monoeye. This clear plastic was soaked in Pledge to make it shinier. Next, I replaced the crappy monoeye sticker with a 4mm pink rhinestone. But because of the new protrusion, it wouldn't fit behind th